Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I Promise to Love, Cherish, and Respect ME

Self respect is one of the greatest and most powerful qualities one can possess because it consists of self love and self preservation.  Loving yourself demonstrates how important you are to YOU! It allows you to always be cared for because you are able to nurture yourself; you do not need to look for it from anyone or anything else.  It is self-producing like an abundant waterfall constantly replenishing itself, full of life and energy.  Self preservation is the ability to protect oneself against destruction or harm.  Harm can come in many forms- a hurtful gesture from a longtime friend, a greedy act from a close relative, a nasty text message from a sibling.  The only thing you are doing by putting up with these behaviors and continuing a relationship with the destructive individual is robbing yourself of your dignity.  Self respect, self love, and self preservation are equally interchangeable virtues. You can't have one without the others. 

These three key characteristics allow a person to live their life guilt-free without the need to be complacent or a stepping stool for others.  It is such a powerful and rewarding feeling to know that no one can rob me of the peace and love I have created for myself.  I am not a victim of regret, nor can I be emotionally manipulated by anyone.  Because I love myself, I strive to fill my life with loving positive people. Positive people, positive vibes equal a positive life. It's that simple.  There is no room for negativity, jealousy, or hurtful people. I refuse to let that energy into my life because all it will do is consume me. Regardless if it comes from an acquaintance, a friend, or a family member, toxic relationships cannot impose themselves or be imposed upon me. If at any point, a friend or a loved one demonstrated lack of respect towards me or my family, the relationship would end immediately.  The reality is that they would do it again and again, and each time I would lose a little more of my self worth.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

If you happen to have someone like this in your life, and you refuse to see the reality of the situation, I wish you luck because you will spend a lifetime in trying to make them happy all the while depriving yourself of your own.  


Mindful Moment:  I love me. I take care of me. I respect me. It’s okay if you don't. I have all I need. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete