Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Our Little Vacation Made Big Memories

Summertime brings on pool parties, beach days, and family vacations.  Notebooks and pencils are stored away and school uniforms are swapped for bathing suits and flip flops.  Many families visit theme parks, embark on caribbean cruises, or fly to exciting new destinations.  Vacations are absolutely wonderful because we get to escape the daily routine.  Many trips are planned months in advance in order to drop as many pennies into the “Family Vacation” piggy bank as possible. 

Last year, we began planning what would be this summer's getaway to California. We researched hotels, airfare, car rental, and attractions. We decided to explore Northern California: San Francisco, Napa Valley, and a side trip to Lake Tahoe.  We were so excited and could hardly wait! But then, life happened.... 

Due to some unexpected expenses, we were forced to postpone our annual summer vacation.  We had to shake and crack open our stuffed piggy bank to cover the repair expenses.  My heart sank.  I felt like without a grand vacation our summer was over before it even began.   Then one day, I decided to stop moping and figure something out.  Although we would not be visiting the golden state, I would plan us a great summer retreat.   

I booked us a five day stay at a Hawks Cay villa just two hours from home.  To make things even better, my sister and her family joined us and what ensued was one of my all-time favorite vacations ever.  We spent our days poolside or paddle boarding in the lagoon.  The kids made new friends and engaged in daily soccer and basketball games. We rented wave runners and fell off....twice!!!   No rain in the forecast allowed frisbee challenges and back porch happy hours.  We took afternoon bike rides exploring the island where my niece finally mastered riding without training wheels! Quiet nights after dinner were spent playing board games and card games.  

     Our inexpensive local trip turned out to be the richest trip in family time, and I learned a valuable lesson.  There were no grandieous monuments to visit or flights to catch, this vacation was an opportunity to be united.  I will never forget the ice cream dripping off my niece’s chin after a long bike ride or my son’s nervous laughter as we climbed back on the wave runner.  My sister and I spent time watching TV in bed, like when we were kids living at home.  We played, we relaxed, and we reconnected. 


Mindful Moment:  Vacations are not about how much money we spend on luxurious hotels or first class cruises.  They are not about the number of days we are away.  Vacations are memory makers. Our small vacation turned out to be one of my favorites because I spent it with the people I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment